Collaborate with us to invoke and fully manifest Srila Prabhupada's Vani-presence.
- 1 Wiki questions
- 2 Vedabase questions
- 3 Using the site
- 4 General questions
- 5 Do you have a question?
What is the main difference between Vanipedia and Wikipedia?
Vanipedia has only Śrīla Prabhupāda's teachings as content, whereas Wikipedia draws content from varieties of sources. Wikipedia aspires to present the sum and substance of all human knowledge, whereas Vanipedia aspires to present the essence of all Vedic knowledge.
Can everyone edit in Vanipedia as they can in Wikipedia?
No they can not. Only trusted users can edit.
Why has this project decided to use the wiki software?
Wiki facilitates collaboration very nicely, it is open source, it has many developers dedicated to its improvement, and people have become very familiar with it.
What are the differences and similarities between Vanipedia and the Vedabase?
- The difference is that in Vaniquotes all of the subjects will be fully researched and placed in their natural categories and subcategories, whereas Vedabase only offers the facility to do so but doesn't do it. Vanipedia takes research and education to the next step.
- The similarity will be that Vanisource will be researchable, just as Vedabase is.
Would the Vanipedia be redundant if I already have the Vedabase and the Prabhupada mp3 library?
It depends on how much time you like to spend online. Both Vedabase and the Prabhupada mp3 library facilitate reading and hearing offline, whereas Vanipedia is only accessible online. It also depends on how much you like to understand the depth and breadth of the subjects that Srila Prabhupada addresses which is the unique offering of Vanipedia.
Using the site
Do I need to create an account to use the site?
No, there is no need. The site is open for everyone to browse on any page. The only reason for an account to be opened is for the devotees who are compiling or building the site.
How long will it take for Vanipedia to be finished?
- It is difficult to say. We would hope that over the next 7 years we can finish the most substantial parts of the project. It could take longer, and if the right people come forward to assist, it could go quicker.
- On the 4th of October 2015 the world will celebrate the 50th anniversary of Srila Prabhupada setting foot on the western shores, and on the 14th of November 2027 we will celebrate the 50th anniversary of Srila Prabhupada leaving his mortal body to return to the spiritual world. Vanipedia plans to be offering substantial service during these 12 years of celebration to show without a doubt that Srila Prabhupada lives forever in his Vani and is able to continuously attract, inspire, and guide people in Krsna consciousness.
Why are you making all this endeavor?
It is based on this very simple premise; we are all going to die, and when we die, we leave, and while we are here we actually make very little contribution to the improvement to the spirituality of this planet. Śrīla Prabhupāda, however, does not die, he lives forever, as do all the other great ācāryas from the past. And Śrīla Prabhupāda's contribution to the spirituality of this planet is unfathomable and increasing all the time, and will continue to do so, generation after generation into the future. Our conviction therefore is that we should do everything that we can to assist Śrīla Prabhupāda to live forever in this world in 100% of his full Vani glory. That is why we make this endeavor to give Śrīla Prabhupāda this platform to continuously preach, teach, and train people in the science of Krsna consciousness.
Do you have a question?
Please contact us here, we will be happy to respond and possibly place it in the FAQ.